Such an interesting word, one that I botched the pronunciation of until corrected. Thanks, Danielle Bray, and happy birthday! =)
Strolling through Kroger I’d always pick up the box, overanalyze and put it back down. Last week I finally pulled the trigger! And whipped up a tasty concoction for lunch yesterday. Quinoa is the best grain for you, containing all of the essential amino acids, it’s easy to digest, is gluten-free and has 6 grams of protein in just a half a cup. That’s before all the added yumminess!
I read from someone who made quinoa that they made the rookie mistake of not rinsing it before cooking it. Well, I guess that means I made the rookiest mistake of not reading the box that said this was pre-washed, no rinsing required. It stuck to my hand like Elmer’s glue when I attempted this. Whoops!
Here’s what I threw together this afternoon:
Servings: 3 (I only intended for the hubs and I but it could have easily fed one more)
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups water
1 tsp/2 cloves garlic
Dash of EVOO
Half a zucchini, red pepper + avocado
Parmesan cheese (amount to your liking)
S + P (salt and pepper)
1 can black beans, rinsed
Feta cheese (again, your call!)
- Put the quinoa and water in a 2 qt. pan. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. (Package instructions may vary)
- Open the black bean can and rinse thoroughly. Set to the side.
- Dice up the zucchini and red pepper into bite-sized pieces. Heat a skillet with the EVOO and garlic. Add in the veggies and sauté until lightly browned. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Cut up the avocado, set aside.
- When the quinoa is done (will be translucent and water should be absorbed), dish into serving bowls.
- Mix in zucchini, red pepper, black beans and avocado. Top with feta cheese and enjoy!
I served ours with roasted pine nut hummus + oven-heated wheat naan bread on the side. So delicious! I’m calling it “Quin [keen] + Things” =)
The ingredients are really at your discretion, add as much or as little as you like, substitute or leave out altogether!